Sunday, February 12, 2012

lake michigan

today i took a walk along lake michigan for the first time in a long time. i craved solitude to sort through some of the internal dialogue that's been crowding my mind this week. i have a tendency to almost obsessively dwell on things, and issues of love, family, work, faith have been pressing on my heart without rest.......

lake michigan in the winter is beautiful. there are spots along the walkway that have iced over as the waves splash upward and spray the concrete. the waves themselves are dark and fierce, and the sound of them crashing into each other drowned out my thoughts. as i walked and walked and walked while looking out at the endless blue, my mind was blissfully empty. i didn't think about anything, actually, the entire time, despite my intentions of plowing through some major bones. but by the time i reached home my heart felt overwhelmingly at peace. and i realized, once again, the importance of allowing yourself at times to be still, and silent, and engaged solely in the beauty of your surroundings. i'm blessed that for me these surroundings can so easily be a place as beautiful as lake michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment